Thursday, May 08, 2008

Poem, Inspired By Lamentations 3.

Surely My Soul Remembers
______
Surely my soul remembers the land it once wandered,
All baron and dry.
Then how my heart was quickened with Your living waters,
And ceased to die.
Surely my soul remembers that You are my portion,
And I am Your heir,
And how my heart, forgetting Your ways and Your kindness,
Squandered it’s share.
*
By my hands I'd refashioned Your work to a vessel of sorrow and grief.
Where there’s grief there’s compassion, and new every morning, Your faithful bequeath.
And my heart bows down, because great is Your faithfulness,
And great is my need.
______
Surely my soul remembers the day when You turned
Your great anger away.
With grace untold Your kindness came reaching instead,
My soul to save.
Surely my soul remembers it’s joy in Your words
To which none can compare.
And death that came by turning away from them
Leaving them wasted there.
*
By my hands I'd refashioned Your work to a vessel of sorrow and grief.
Where there’s grief there’s compassion, and new every morning, faithfully bequeathed.
And my heart bows down, since great is Your faithfulness,
And great is my need.
______
Surely my soul remembers the rock and the fortress,
Down from which it flew.
Then by Your Son, You bore it on eagles wings,
Mercifully, back to You.
Surely my soul remembers Your teaching ways,
My crooked pathways made straight.
Turning from them, again and again, I did,
As if them I hate.
*
By my hands I’d refashioned Your work to a vessel of sorrow and grief.
Where there’s grief there’s compassion, it’s new every morning, faithfully bequeathed.
And my heart bows down, because great is Your faithfulness,
And great is my need.
(-Todd S.)
_________________________________________________
_______
Here's a little melody to go with it although when I played the last line unfortunately I was not concentrating on phrasing the piano notes according to the words. But soon I'll sing the thing. 2-3 hours of working out my voice, several times a week, has been strengthening it quite a bit. Come back in a few weeks if you want and check it out. This song has got a long way to go but it's a wonder it's here at all. Love, joy.

2 comments:

Only Look said...

Thats a wonderful poem Todd

Todd Saunders said...

I'm honored that you read it Brian.