Friday, November 20, 2009

Hymn: As With Gladness Men of Old.

Here's a "re"-arrangment of a well know hymn. I've never heard it done this way before. Maybe this is the way it was actually intended to be done?

Although, there's lot of experimenting going on here.

About 8-9 years ago I was doodling around with Christmas Carols on my guitar around Christmas time and discovered how much I liked this hymn when I slowed it way down and rounded out the 'B' part. It's a nice melodic presentation of some great words.

The day before yesterday was the day in which I finally had a little time to get it down on the recorder. I had to do a 'voice' check. To see if my voice could 'handle' singing this one yet. Not because it was a good day to see how my voice was progressing, but, because I had the time. And in the process was pleased to find out that the voice is about half of the way there. 'There'? I guess, 'there', is wherever it happens to 'be' when it quits getting any better. Hopefully a few years away yet.

You'll notice as you listen to this recording, that I still can't sing. But it's coming. I haven't given up yet.

Someone with a voice should record this one.

I just needed to get this hymn out there and get it started. It has a long way to go. I will be updating it often -- musically and vocally -- but needed to start here. I badly need to sit down and redo the guitar track. I recorded it quickly a couple years ago. It's hard for me to get a clear product out of my recorder. Once you sit down to play this thing on the guitar it's hard to quit. Maybe a better guitar player than myself could send me one?

It works! It's still a beautiful hymn even after I've finished with it.

These words cause me to break down in joy. The melody puts me away into a rich state of thanksgiving to Christ. There's a joyous message here from the writers of this hymn. I hope I came close to delivering it here.


As with gladness men of old, did the guiding star behold --
As with joy they hailed it's light, leading onward beaming bright --
So most gracious God may we, evermore be led by thee. (Repeat line)
____________
As with joyful steps they sped, to that lowly manger bed,
There to bend the knee before, Him whom heaven and earth adore,
So may we with willing feet, ever seek Thy mercy seat. (Repeat line)
____________
As they offered gifts most rare, at the manger rude and bare,
So may we with holy joy, pure and free from sins alloy,
All our costliest treasure bring, Christ to Thee our heavenly King. (Repeat line)
____________
Holy Jesus every day, keep us in Thy narrow way;
And, when earthly things are past, bring our ransomed souls at last
Where they need no star to guide, where no clouds Thy glory hide. (Repeat line)
____________

No comments: